What Your Sleeping Position Says About Your Relationship
Did you know your sleeping positions can reveal things about your personality, as well as the status of your relationship? Whether you sleep back to back, touching each other, or spooning, it can indicate how happy and satisfied you are in your relationship. Sleeping less than an inch away from your partner shows you are happy in your relationship, per a new study.
At the University of Hertfordshire researchers surveyed 1,000 people and found that physical contact plays a key role. Couples who slept touching each other or maintained some type of physical contact while sleeping were more likely to be happy in their relationship.
Facts About Couples Sleeping positions:
1. 42% of couples sleep back to back (most popular)
2. 4% sleep facing each other
3. 31% sleep facing the same direction
4. 12% sleep less than an inch away
5. 2% sleep more than 30 inches away
6. 94% of couples who sleep touching each other said that they were happy
7. 68% of couples who did not touch or spoon while sleeping said they are satisfied with their relationship.
This was the first survey to examine sleeping positions of couples and was conducted at the Edinburgh International Science Festival. Professor Richard Wiseman, a psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire and study lead, said this survey will allow people to get an idea about the relationship status of people by asking about their favorite sleeping position.
The farther away couples sleep, the less likely they are to be happy. It was also found that outgoing or extroverted people are more likely to sleep closer to their partners, and interestingly, creative people tend to sleep on their left side.
Here is what your sleeping position says about your relationship:
1. Spoon – female on the insideThis is a traditional position where male partners take the lead and protect the female. This position shows you prefer traditional roles and the male acts as a shield to protect the relationship while the female partner is sensitive. Such partners are supportive and never go to bed angry.
2. Liberty – Back to back, not touchingThis position says the couple is connected but independent enough to sleep separately. They understand each other’s sleeping habits and accept them. Such partners are more practical and make use of the entire bed.
3. Cherish – Back to back and touchingThis is a popular position in new relationships and signifies the couple is comfortable and relaxed with each other.
4. Lover’s Knot – face-to-face with legs touching for 10 minutes then separateThis is an indicator of loving independence and shows love, intimacy, and sexual activity. Such couples are caring and understand each other well. They believe in keeping their partner happy and are understanding.
5. Football – Facing each other with one foot touchingThis shows the tightly packed schedules of the partners and their love for it. They do not spend much time together, however when they meet for that time, they make it special. They are happily busy with their lives